A festival of new shorts from emerging and established writers nationwide.
June 21-23 & June 28-30, 2018
Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays at 8:00pm
All tickets Pay-What-You-Can
Studio 101, 1824 Spring Street, Houston, TX 77007
Museum of Dysfunction X Guidelines
Mildred’s Umbrella Theater Company is accepting submissions for our Museum of Dysfunction Annual Short Play Festival. For the tenth annual festival, submissions are open to high school and college students as well as non-students. Twenty (20) plays will be selected, ten (10) by students and ten (10) by non-students. The final twenty will be produced by the professional actors and directors of Mildred’s Umbrella Theater Company and performed live in two groups of ten (10) over the course of two consecutive weekends in Houston, Texas.
Performance Dates: Each group of plays will be performed for one weekend (Thurs – Sat).
1st group: June 21-23, 2018
2nd group: June 28-30, 2018
Plays must follow the guidelines listed below:
- Plays must be no longer than 10 minutes (1 – 12 pages)
- Plays must have 1 – 4 characters (no more than 4)
- No elaborate technical requirements or sets. Minimal sound cues and simple light cues are fine. For sets we recommend suggested scenery, ordinary rooms, or outdoor locations that do not need elaborate sets.
- All submissions must be new, unproduced work. Plays that have been workshopped or produced in an academic setting are allowed.
- Plays must adhere to the mission of Mildred’s Umbrella Theater Company, which promotes the work of women in theatre. This means either female playwrights and/or a focus on female characters or at least gender parity in the cast.
- The aesthetic of Museum of Dysfunction is to highlight the dark corners of life, celebrate difference, and accept our dysfunction. Please create your plays with this in mind.
Submissions must be sent in either Word or PDF format. Do not put the playwright’s name on the script or cover sheet as the reading panels will be blind.
In the BODY OF THE EMAIL ONLY, list the following:
- Playwright’s name
- Title of play
- Name of playwright’s high school or college (if applicable)
- Grade level (if applicable)
- Email address and phone number of student or representative
Send submissions via email to submissions(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)mildredsumbrella.com with the subject line Museum of Dysfunction X.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: December 15, 2017, by Midnight.
SELECTION NOTIFICATION: March 1, 2018.